This site uses cookies. Find out more in our cookies policy.

Surveying loose cargo; Accredit Argonautics Marine Engineering Inc

Marine works

Our permission is required for use of the foreshore and seabed managed by Crown Estate Scotland.  We issue leases, licences and consents for activities and developments such as:

  • Offshore energy developments (for applicant information visit wave & tidal, offshore wind)
  • Aquaculture (download application forms)
  • Ports and harbour development
  • Coastal protection and flood defence works
  • Dredging and dumping of material from, and onto, the seabed
  • Filming on foreshore
  • Laying of moorings
  • Laying of outfall and intake pipes
  • Deployment of research equipment e.g. wave buoys, acoustic Doppler current profiler (ADCPs), passive acoustic monitoring equipment
  • Seabed investigation work such as grab samples or boreholes to inform research or development activities

To apply for activities above (excluding offshore energy & aquaculture) please complete the relevant form below and email our managing agents at

The precise form of agreement will be dependent on the proposed activity and Bidwells will discuss this with you. 

A fee is charged for all activities to cover the cost of processing the application and, in many cases, the fee will include a charge for the use of the seabed. Fees vary depending on the type of works and the complexity of the application. 

Bidwells will check your area of interest against our records to verify if and how your proposed activity is likely to affect Crown foreshore and seabed as well as any potential impacts on existing tenants.

As well as an agreement with Crown Estate Scotland, you are likely to also require consent from statutory authorities / regulators e.g. Marine Scotland, local authorities and / or a harbour authority. It is your responsibility to obtain these consents and securing a Crown Estate Scotland agreement is conditional on all other required consents being in place.



Marine works