This site uses cookies. Find out more in our cookies policy.

Rhu Marina

Marine leisure

Scotland has some of the best sailing waters in Europe and demand for mooring space is high. Whilst navigation in coastal waters is a public right, the laying of a permanent mooring, or other equipment to hold a vessel, requires consent from the relevant landowner. For seabed, this consent will nearly always come from Crown Estate Scotland.

We operate a licensing system to provide security of tenure for boat owners, whilst protecting the interests of other marine users.

We issue three types of mooring licence.

  • This is suitable for private individuals
  • A licence for businesses such as ferry operators, boatyards, charter boats and diving vessels
  • We help set up moorings associations to provide a degree of local management. Once established, associations are given a seabed agreement enabling them to manage their members’ moorings within a specific area. Associations are suitable for groups of ten or more moorings and provide a degree of security as pressure on areas traditionally occupied by moorings increases. Another advantage is that the annual charge is less than the fee for an individual mooring.

How do I obtain a licence?

  • Contact our Community Marine Officers to discuss the chosen position(s) for your mooring(s). They have a wealth of experience on all marine matters and are available to offer advice and assistance on the licensing process.  They will also tell you if there are existing rights or activities that may prevent us from granting you a licence for your chosen position(s)
  • Complete a Mooring Licence application form and submit it to
  • If your mooring(s) do(es) not conflict with any existing or proposed works, your application will be passed to our local representative to progress
  • If you are interested in forming an association, please contact and one of the team will be in touch

Statutory navigation consents

Mooring owners will also need to obtain statutory navigation consent from the Scottish Government, a Harbour Authority or the Clyde Moorings Committee to ensure that your mooring will not constitute a hazard to navigation. The process will vary depending on the location of your mooring and we can advise you on this.

Loch Creran

Loch Creran is a Special Area of Conservation. Argyll & Bute Council has specific guidelines for anyone wishing to install a mooring. These can be found at

Please note that we work closely with bodies representing the sailing and boating community to prevent unregulated moorings remaining. We can take legal action to have them removed to protect the safety and interests of other marine users.

For more information: