A recent survey of our coastal tenants has helped Crown Estate Scotland to measure and monitor their satisfaction in how we support them and their businesses.
Encouragingly, the poll rated our performance, responsiveness, efficiency, communication, openness and understanding of tenant needs as improved since the previous survey in 2017, with those rating us a 7 or above for efficiency increasing by 13%.
All coastal tenants were invited to take part in the process, with 285 responding. Highlights of their feedback included:
Prior to the survey, 99% were aware of Crown Estate Scotland
Respondents gave Crown Estate Scotland a 7/10 rating when asked about their satisfaction with overall service, an increase since 2017
86% of respondents felt that the frequency of contact that they have with Crown Estate Scotland was appropriate and met their needs
Tenants were supportive of the mooring licencing scheme with a rating of 8.1/10 on how it operates
On rent, Tenants were
- most positive about the ease of payment arrangements, with a score of 7.6 out of 10
- least positive about their understanding of how their rents are set, with a mean score of 5.4 out of 10
Almost nine in ten respondents deal with our managing agents, Bidwells on day to day issues. They were rated mean scores of:
- 8.1/10 for professionalism
- 7.8/10 for clarity and openness
- 7.7/10 for communication
- 7.7/10 for responsiveness/efficiency
When asked what they thought Crown Estate Scotland’s priorities should be over the next few years in order to improve the service to tenants, the main priorities identified by tenants were:
- Keep tenants informed/ more frequent communication
- Work with / support / provide grants to local communities;
- Reduce / do not increase rents;
- Get to know tenants better / deliver to specific / local requirements
Respondents also identified their priorities for marine and coastal development:
- Protection of the coastline / marine life / environment;
- Managing / reducing fish and salmon farming;
- Sustainable development;
- Access to the shoreline, and
- Supporting infrastructure, port development and assistance to local communities.
Insights from our tenant communities are vital in ensuring we prioritise the right activity. Thank you to all those tenants who took the time to reply and share their views with us. We’ll use them to continue finding new ways to support coastal communities.
To view a fuller summary of the report, click here.