Join our team to lead the Information Services Team’s GIS Technical Delivery Specialism and act as our subject matter expert in administration of the GIS platform; Geospatial/Spatial data architecture; back-end data management; scripting GIS app development and maintenance Esri UK applications.
Crown Estate Scotland has an exciting opportunity for a GIS Technical Manager to join our team on a full-time permanent basis.
By joining the Crown Estate Scotland team, you’ll be surrounded by dedicated and talented individuals who are passionate about what they do, giving you the opportunity to learn and develop. You’ll be working alongside like-minded individuals who are working towards achieving the shared goal of making Scotland a better place
We manage property – including buildings, land, coastline and seabed – on behalf of people of Scotland. Our purpose is to invest in property, natural resources and people to generate lasting value for Scotland. Our profits go to Scottish public spending.
We work in a way that:
- Generates prosperity and value for all of Scotland;
- Aiding the growth of sustainable business and industry in Scottish seas and on the coast;
- Makes places better for those who live, work and visit there;
- Promotes sustainable ways of producing energy, food, and other products; and
- Creates opportunities for people to use and benefit from the Scottish Crown Estate.
Our values of Integrity, Excellence, Collaboration and Commercialism help us to put our purpose into practice. They shape how we work, underpin our actions, and help to make Crown Estate Scotland a great place to work.
About the role
The successful candidate for this new role within the organisation will be responsible for:
- Management of the GIS Technical Delivery Specialism and its outputs, ensuring operational issues or other impediments to delivery are resolved in a timely manner to fulfil business requirements.
- Managing the organisation’s GIS infrastructure, allowing the Information Services team to accurately capture and reflect asset activities, interests and knowledge, providing accurate and business critical analyses, informing key Business decisions and transactions.
- Management of all GIS enterprise databases.
- Implementing security measures for GIS databases and Apps.
- Being the technical lead for GIS and integrated data flows, enabling the technical delivery contribution towards the organisation’s Visions and Values, the Corporate Plan, the Business Plan and bespoke projects.
- Managing the organisation’s delivery of Spatial Open Data objectives, testing and publication of agreed Crown Estate Scotland public spatial data via Spatial Open Data Hub.
- The management, development, testing and roll-out changes to GIS infrastructure or creation of new GIS tools to help meet organisational objectives/projects requirements.
- Testing and improving disaster recovery and business continuity processes related to GIS infrastructure and digital information flows.
- Creating and maintaining documentation on GIS Infrastructure and digital information flows.
- Working with IT Partners to ensure (IXP) scripts perform the required data imports from other internal systems. Advising Managing Agents & Business Units in instances of data quality issues which impact data flows.
- Ensuring that Business users and Managing Agents have access to required Crown Estate Scotland’s and associated data on appropriate and relevant platforms via GIS web services. Ensure that those users have access to information and have the functionality to access and perform various analyses via GIS solutions.
- Ensuring the Information Services Team have access to the required platforms, software, data and technical knowledge.
- Carrying out or delegating the spatial analysis required for projects/bespoke queries from internal customers, and other external organisations.
- Engaging with GIS industry experts and peers to keep abreast of relevant technologies, collaborations and initiatives.
- Following IT change management processes when implementing changes to the GIS system’s hardware, software administration and technical developments.
The contractual working location of this role is our Edinburgh office. However, we believe work is something you do, not a place you go to, and we are committed to supporting employees to work flexibly and in a way that suits their role and preferences. The successful candidate would be expected to work in the office at least one day per week on a designated team day and would have the option to work on a hybrid basis for the rest of the working week.
The starting salary will be £50,938.80 with potential for future progression as well as eligibility of annual cost of living rises. The maximum salary for this role is currently £62,155. The role also benefits from 25 days’ annual leave, increasing to 30 days after four years’ service, plus 11.5 of public/ privilege days. Crown Estate Scotland encourage flexible working and operate a discretionary flexi-time scheme. This role offers participation in the Civil Service pension scheme. Contribution levels for the scheme are currently 5.45% employee contribution at the entry salary for this role whilst Crown Estate Scotland contribution levels are 27.9%.
At Crown Estate Scotland we believe that continuous learning and development helps us to do our best in work and build professional skills and expertise. We offer a range of training opportunities delivered by external training providers and in-house experts and provide all employees with access to LinkedIn Learning. We also support individuals to pay professional membership fees relevant to their roles and aim to support additional study and learning requests wherever possible.
As well as helping you to develop professionally, we also support your personal development through our ‘Wellbeing Matters’ programme with its focus on four important pillars of wellbeing – physical, emotional, social, and financial.
- Have a degree in GIS or equivalent.
- Have experience supervising or managing people either as a line manager, project manager or similar.
- Have experience of using ESRI ArcGIS products and administrating ESRI desktop and server environments.
- Have experience of administering enterprise databases including the use of SQL language.
- Have knowledge of scripting (Python or PowerShell) for automation.
- Have knowledge of delivering organisation-wide information through web GIS technology.
- Have experience of capturing user requirements, developing, user acceptance, testing and roll-out of enterprise GIS infrastructure.
You will have the following qualities, which are key to success in this role:
- Ability to manage own time and others.
- Be able to deliver projects to agreed specification and targets.
- Possess excellent communication, collaboration and negotiation skills to work successfully with other teams to deliver outcomes.
To apply, please send your CV and Covering Letter, explaining why you are applying for the role and whether you are applying for it as a job share, to email@example.com.
Crown Estate Scotland is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we encourage applications from people from all backgrounds. We want to ensure every candidate has a positive experience and can most effectively demonstrate their suitability for the role they are applying for. Please tell us if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make to help you in your application or with our recruitment and selection process.
We have a legal responsibility to ensure that all our employees have the legal right to live and work in the UK. If we make an offer of employment, we will need to check that you are eligible to work in the UK before you start work.
The closing date for applications is 11th December 2022. Interviews will be conducted w/c 9th January 2023.