Closing date: 11th December 2022
Starting salary: £22,686.50
Join our team and provide high quality business administration support across our Governance and Corporate Operations teams. The focus is assisting the Governance Manager on corporate governance, board engagement and planning, and complaints handling across the organisation as well as supporting other teams (Partnerships, Policy and Corporate Affairs).
Crown Estate Scotland has an exciting opportunity for a Governance Assistant to join our team on a full-time permanent basis.
By joining the Crown Estate Scotland team, you’ll be surrounded by dedicated and talented individuals who are passionate about what they do, giving you the opportunity to learn and develop. You’ll be working alongside like-minded individuals who are working towards achieving the shared goal of making Scotland a better place.
We manage property – including buildings, land, coastline and seabed – on behalf of people of Scotland. Our purpose is to invest in property, natural resources and people to generate lasting value for Scotland. Our profits go to Scottish public spending.
We work in a way that:
- Generates prosperity and value for all of Scotland;
- Aids the growth of sustainable business and industry in Scottish seas and on the coast;
- Makes places better for those who live, work and visit there;
- Promotes sustainable ways of producing energy, food, and other products; and
- Creates opportunities for people to use and benefit from the Scottish Crown Estate.
Our values of Integrity, Excellence, Collaboration and Commercialism help us to put our purpose into practice. They shape how we work, underpin our actions, and help to make Crown Estate Scotland a great place to work.
About the role
The successful candidate for this new role within the organisation will be responsible for:
- Working with the Governance Manager to manage a programme of Board and Committee meetings, with associated administration.
- Attending Board and Committee meetings and preparing minutes.
- Helping prepare Board papers and managing the use of our Board portal software.
- Providing advice and support to colleagues and managing agents in relation to the Crown Estate Scotland Complaints Handling Procedure, recording complaints and preparing quarterly and annual reporting on complaints handling.
- Working across the four parts of Corporate Operations - Governance, Policy, Partnership and Corporate Affairs - to maintain planners and action trackers, ensuring fit-for-purpose templates and processes.
- Being Corporate Operations point of contact for with the Finance team, working with budget holders to coordinate activity.
- Collating management information for the Board, including liaison with internal teams, ensuring accurate and timely production of business performance reports.
- Helping with external engagement and events e.g. scheduling meetings, sourcing venues, helping to prepare presentations.
- Carrying out other business and operational duties across Corporate Operations.
The contractual working location of this role is our Edinburgh office. However, we believe work is something you do, not a place you go to, and we are committed to supporting employees to work flexibly and in a way that suits their role and preferences.
The starting salary will be £22,686.50 with potential for future progression as well as eligibility of annual cost of living rises. The maximum salary for this role is currently £25,662.30. The role also benefits from 25 days’ annual leave, increasing to 30 days after four years’ service, plus 11.5 of public/ privilege days.
Crown Estate Scotland encourage flexible working and operate a discretionary flexi-time scheme.
This role offers participation in the Civil Service pension scheme. Contribution levels for the scheme are currently 4.60% employee contribution at the entry salary for this role whilst Crown Estate Scotland contribution levels are 26.6%.
At Crown Estate Scotland we believe that continuous learning and development helps us to do our best in work and build professional skills and expertise. We offer a range of training opportunities delivered by external training providers and in-house experts and provide all employees with access to LinkedIn Learning. We also support individuals to pay professional membership fees relevant to their roles and aim to support additional study and learning requests wherever possible.
As well as helping you to develop professionally, we also support your personal development through our ‘Wellbeing Matters’ programme with its focus on four important pillars of wellbeing – physical, emotional, social, and financial.
- Have SCQF level 6 qualification or equivalent, preferably in Business Administration.
- Have a good understanding of confidentiality considerations relating to corporate governance.
- Be interested in corporate governance e.g. Board operations and business.
- Have experience of delivering excellent internal customer service.
- Be able to analyse and present data in clear written and visual format.
You will have the following qualities, which are key to success in this role:
- Strong organisational and planning skills with an ability to manage and prioritise a busy workload.
- Excellent IT skills across Microsoft 365, especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Microsoft Teams and SharePoint.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- A self-starter with the ability to work on your own initiative.
To apply, please send your CV and Covering Letter, explaining why you are applying for the role and whether you are applying for it as a job share, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Crown Estate Scotland is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we encourage applications from people from all backgrounds. We want to ensure every candidate has a positive experience and can most effectively demonstrate their suitability for the role they are applying for. Please tell us if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make to help you in your application or with our recruitment and selection process.
We welcome requests to work on a job share basis.
The closing date for applications is 11th December 2022. Interviews will be conducted shortly after this date.